14 May 2014

2013 Elena Walch 20/26 Rosé

After a recent review of the Elena Walch Gewürztraminer made in Italy, I was contacted by a publicist and offered the chance to try anything from the product lineup. Whenever I'm presented with this opportunity, I don't head for the most expensive or prestigious option, but rather the one that I find the most interesting.

People often ask me what I like in a wine, and I generally say that I'd love to try something I've never had before. I'm always far more excited to try a grape or region that is new to me versus going back to the same bottle over and over again. There is nothing wrong with finding your sweet spot and sticking to it, but I've got a curious palate that is constantly wanting to experience new things.

I'm a long time fan of dry-rosé, and I couldn't pass up the chance to try something made from Lagrein, Pinot Nero, and Merlot. Except for the Pinot, you don't see these grapes often in the pink format, and it's also unusual to see these grapes combined anywhere in the world.

2013 Elena Walch 20/26 Rosé
IGT Vigneti delle Dolomiti
33% Lagrein, 33% Pinot Nero, 33% Merlot
$18, 13% abv.

Bright red berry flavors but with a round mouthfeel. Gentle raspberry aromas with a light and refreshing finish. Perfect spring rosé. Serve this one cold and preferably with a nice picnic lunch of cold fried chicken, fresh slices of watermelon, and cubes of feta cheese. If it weren't raining outside right now I'd be tempted to put a blanket out in the backyard and have this meal myself.

Note: This wine was provided as a sample for review.

1 comment:

Jason Sharp said...

I love the taste, These are made in the true traditional méthode champenoise and are nice interpretations of local fruit.