11 March 2013

2009 Château St. Didier-Parnac

I will never stop being fascinated by the little nooks of the French wine world... Places that use an odd bottle (like the 62cL format of Jura) or a lesser known grape like Tannat in Madiran.

I had an early fascination with the Cahors region. After growing to love Argentine Malbec, I wondered how it would taste if made in its native France, in a small corner of the southwest. I have to thank Tom Rickert for my first bottle of Cahors, which was a gift and, alas, spoiled. I also have to thank him for being kind enough to find a second bottle which was delightful and represented my first true taste of this tiny region.

Seven years later I'm getting to sample a lovely Cahors on a rainy Sunday afternoon while eating Munchkin burgers with Julia. And yet, after many other Cahors and thousands of other bottles, I still retain my enchantment.

2009 Château St. Didier-Parnac
Cahors AOC
80% Malbec, 15% Merlot, 5% Tannat
$18, 13% abv.

Although it has a few years of age this wine remains dark. Aromas of black cherry and tobacco leaf lead in to a deep red with flavors of plum and stewed fruit and coffee. Touches of leather on the finish. The tannins have mellowed from what I imagine was a fairly strong young wine, leading to a glass that is mild and refreshing. Incredible depth and a great price makes this wine highly recommended.

Though I sampled this with sliders topped with red onion marmalade and smoked Gouda, I do think that the most perfect pairing would come from roast lamb aggressively studded with garlic and rosemary.

Note: This wine was received as a sample.

No comments: