03 September 2012

Clayhouse Reds

Going back through my notes I noticed that I've reviewed a lot of Clayhouse wines over the past couple of years. Across the many different varieties I've noticed consistent quality along with affordable prices, which is a great combination. Add in convenient screwcaps and you've got a reliable choice when you stop at the wine shop on the way to a party or casual dinner.

2010 Clayhouse Vineyard Syrah
Paso Robles, California
100% Syrah
$15, 13.8% abv.

Black cherry and black pepper aromas with a bold fruit profile. Slight bite on the finish with lingering tannins. This one was great with pepperoni pizza.

2010 Clayhouse Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Paso Robles, California
80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Petit Verdot
$15, 13.5% abv.

This one was actually sent by mistake--the 2009 is the current release and this 2010 will be coming out next year. But I like the combination and the Petit Verdot brought forth a great depth along with some floral aromas. The tannins are still strong here, but I'm excited to see what it's like in another two years.

2010 Clayhouse Vineyard Malbec
Paso Robles, California
100% Malbec
$15, 13.6% abv.

Soft and plummy, good dark fruit flavors but restrained in presentation. Mild and easily drinkable now, and a great bargain. California Malbec is really starting to surprise me.


Note: These wines were received as samples.

2 comments:

Rusty Eddy said...

Glad you liked the 2010 Cab, even if it's a bit young. 2009 will be on the way soon...

Red Wines said...

I think I'll give the 2010 a try, it sounds lovely.