01 February 2010

Alvear Solera 1927 Pedero Ximénez

I hated sherry in my early 20s. Maybe it was the cheap stuff I was buying, but I tried Amontillado, Cream Sherry, and several other styles, and didn't like any of them. I was nearly 30 before I found one I liked, and I think it might just have to be a flavor you grow into. Lately I've been craving it, and at the recent dinner party I used sherry and sherry vinegar throughout the meal.

One I would highly recommend is the Alvear Solera 1927 Pedro Ximénez. $20, 16% abv, 375 mL bottle. As the name implies, it's made from the Pedro Ximénez grape in Spain's Jerez region. In fact, the word "sherry" is an English corruption of "Jerez". The Brits are also responsible for turning "spaghetti bolognese" into the delicious sounding "spag bol".

What about the 1927 part? How can you buy such an old wine for $20? Well, that has to do with the other word, Solera. The Solera method involves blending older and newer barrels to achieve an ideal and affordable mix. When you purchase a fortified wine made in this method, it's some combination of (in this case) 80 years worth of vintages, but not equal parts of each. The percentage of the oldest wine is going to be very tiny, but it's there. Different countries have different laws regarding such blends and how they can be labeled, and similar methods and labeling are used with products like whisky and vinegar.

The wine is very sweet but balanced, with rich aromas and flavors of stewed fruits, raisins, and an element of beef broth. Truly perfect for a cold winter night. I've had this at a wine tasting, but most recently revisited it at Grace Restaurant where several of us at the table enjoyed it after dinner. I decided it was time to grab a bottle of my own.

10 comments:

Thomas @ The Blog Wine Cellar said...

Hey Ben! This PX sounds great! I wish I had a few bottles of this stuff hanging around my house. I always get the craving for deliciously sweet wine! Cheers and keep up the love!

Benito said...

Thomas,

There's a lot to love about the wine. The price, it's just a half bottle, and you don't have to be a Sherry expert to enjoy it. In fact, I'd say keep a few bottles around the house next winter for last minute Christmas gifts.

Cheers,
Benito

Joe said...

I think it's a shame that good Sherry is hard to find. I managed to try some Dry Fino maybe 8 months back ('cause I'd never had it before). After getting past the initial shock of significant aromas of flor (not "floor"), I found great smells of almonds and caramel apples. I was hooked. Still haven't had PX, but I'm a fool for Port and Madeira, so I imagine this would be in my wheelhouse...

Benito said...

Joe,

You don't see Sherry at tastings often, and it's also difficult to find a Sherry enthusiast working retail:

"I'm looking for a good Sherry..."

"Well, the cherry liqueurs are over there next to the brandies."

Of course, I'm not an expert on the subject, and as much as I like it I can't imagine drinking enough of it on a regular basis to develop strong preferences for one style or brand over another. But I love this one, and it's a good segue from Port.

Cheers,
Benito

Samantha Dugan said...

Benito,
Like you it took me years before I really dug Sherry. Matter of fact it was not until I was sent to Jerez to learn about them, that I developed a taste for them. Now I just cannot do the PX stuff, just not for my palate but I adore the rest and think fino is brilliant with seafood and cured meat....my husband on the other hand, thinks it is all vile. I think you nailed it when you mentioed that it has to grow on you a bit, sadly some people cannot get past the first sip.

Benito said...

Sam,

I think you might just have to wait until everyone has had a few glasses of wine, then just pour a dash of Sherry in each glass and say, "Here, try this" without telling them what it is.

Let's also note that turtle soup is worthless without a little Sherry in it. That's another good way to introduce people to Sherry... assuming they're not weirded out by eating turtle.

Cheers,
Benito

Michelle said...

Benito,
I will give sherry a shot and I still haven't been to Grace, so I have to give them a shot as well. Happy Anniversary by the way!

Benito said...

Thanks, Michelle! I think you'll enjoy both Grace and the Sherry.

Cheers,
Benito

Ed Thralls said...

Benito,

Great review. I happen to have just bought this exact sherry just a few weeks ago. While I have been a port lover for many, many moons, sherry is something I had not tried before.

Alvear is good and I also have a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream that I have yet to open and experience to. I'll let you know how it goes.

Benito said...

Ed,

Anxious to hear what you think about it. It's a fun one to share around the table after dinner, and like I said, great for the Port lover.

Cheers,
Benito