20 July 2008

Benito vs. the Buffalo: Round 2

I've written about cooking buffalo here before, but that was in the ground form. This was my first attempt at actual steaks. I decided to make this recipe using Great Range Bison Medallions (the frozen package at Fresh Market comes with two 6 oz. tenderloin portions). A fennel-allspice rub combined with a fresh fig-balsamic vinegar sauce sounded pretty good, and I happened to have all of the ingredients on hand.

Even when cooked rare, this is still a bit tougher than beef. The flavor's great, though, so just slice thinly and sop up a lot of the rich, sweet sauce. I sliced up a tomato from the Downtown Farmers Market and hit it with fresh basil and sea salt. A Greek salad rounded out the summer evening meal.

For the wine I tried out the 2006 Roogle Red, $10, 14.9% abv. From several regions of South Australia. 50% Shiraz, 30% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. Black pepper, cherry, and cedar aromas. Medium tannins with pronounced cherry flavors and a touch of spice. Decent blend of grapes in a convenient screwcap enclosure.

No comments: