08 August 2007

2003 Novella Synergy

While wandering around Arkansas wine shops in my spare time (which feature drive-through windows), I found the 2003 Novella Synergy, which comes from the EOS family of wines. This is a creative blend of 56% Petite Sirah, 39% Zinfandel, 5% Sangiovese from Paso Robles, California. I got it on sale for around $12.

A funny thing about this wine: upon the first sampling, I was hit with aromas of jam and toast with some nutty tones underneath. Basically a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I'm not putting the wine down, it was just one of the strangest yet most comforting combinations I've ever encountered in a wine. With breathing the jammy character subsided and I was left with a decent but confused wine. Petite Sirah and and Zinfandel are pretty hearty grapes, the kind that don't mind pushing and shoving their way to the front. I don't know that they complement each other that well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutly my favorite wine for the price. Like you said it is an odd blend, but it works so well. Balanced, fruit forward, soft tannons and toast!! thats great!!, I would have said Nutty with a little chocolate, but now that you say that I deffinatly taste the toast! Tell me where I can get more! Can't find the '03 anywhere!