17 January 2007

NV Jacob's Creek Chardonnay-Pinot Noir Brut Cuvée

Last Friday Paul and I were hanging out with the girlfriends. I had to work late and thus abdicated the usual role of cook, but suggested that we grab some Chinese takeout. And what better to go with Chinese food than a sparkling wine? If I haven't said it enough, sparkling wines were meant to be consumed with food, just like every other wine. En route I procured a bottle of the Jacob's Creek Chardonnay-Pinot Noir Brut Cuvée. I've had a few Aussie sparklers, and find them to be enjoyable for casual consumption. I'm also impressed that they list the grapes prominently on the front, and even state the percentages on the back: 80% Chardonnay, 20% Pinot Noir, bottle fermented, from the Barossa Valley. Yeasty aroma and nicely dry with a tangy bite to it, and excellent balance all around. It matched wonderfully with the food, particularly my choice: a hot Szechuan seafood dish.

At around $11, this is a great little sparkler, and should be applicable to a wide range of foods and occasions.

Photo courtesy of Paul's girlfriend Grace, who snapped the above in near dark conditions.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

We had this recently with friends in Perth who drink this often.

Benito said...

And what did you think of it?

My grandfather once turned down an opportunity to do some gold prospecting in Perth. He described it the same way as El Paso, Texas: "way on the other side of nowhere". No offense to residents of either fine city, of course.