01 April 2006

Segura Viudas Aria NV

So I bought an inexpensive Spanish cava a couple of weeks ago and served it last night. And in doing so, I made some sort of a statement about Spanish politics. Andrew mentioned this a while back, and pointed to an informative article on the subject. Though I'm enchanted by the Catalan language, I really don't have any opinions about the autonomy question and wouldn't stop drinking delicious, affordable cava because of it.

The wine in question was the Segura Viudas Aria, which is a Pinot Noir-based sparkling wine. 100% Pinot Noir, grown in Catalonia and sold just for the American market. It's made by Segura Viudas, but there's nothing about this wine on the website. It's a pretty deep pink, almost red color. Some hints of strawberry, but for the most part it's light, crisp, and refreshing. To be honest, I didn't get to drink much of it--the sparkler was served along with a spread of cheeses and a traditionally prepared Caesar salad, and the ladies drank up most of it before I was able to sit down and think about the various attributes. So for that reason alone the wine gets an A in my book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also found this Aria Pinot Noir sparkling wine to be outstanding, particularly at its very modest price. However, the wine seller that we bought it from on longer carries it. Does anyone know where to buy it?

Anonymous said...

I've been to three gorcery outlets in OR and WA and each store has had it for $4.99.