10 July 2005

Weekend Wines

For dinner Friday night, Paul and I split a bottle of the 2003 Zolo Malbec from Argentina. A good bargain at $10, but with great leather and dark fruit aromas. Solid flavor, but the tannins were easy enough not to overwhelm the roast rack of lamb and broiled goat cheese that formed the basis of dinner. Definitely recommended.

I used a $7 bottle of 2002 Hogue Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot as the basis for a sauce. It wasn't bad, but I think it was a year past its prime. It's almost half and half of the named grapes with a splash of Cabernet Franc in there. I'd like to try a newer vintage of this.

On a whim, I picked up a $6 bottle of the 2003 NO Sauvignon Blanc. I don't have a link, and it's damned near impossible to find any information on it. You can read a review here if you like, but I can tell you now: don't bother. The label says "NO oak aging. NO cork. NO malolactic fermentation. NO attitude. NO kidding." Might I add "NO flavor, NO good". It's an inexpensive screwcap white with a funky aroma and little or no flavor. Think about drinking Pinot Grigio while wondering if there's a peach rotting in the garbage can. Blech.

No comments: