01 April 2005

2002 Twin Fin Cabernet Sauvignon

I'm a sucker for good packaging. The 2002 Twin Fin Cabernet Sauvignon is an inexpensive, screwcap-enclosed table wine that features a stylized picture of a 50s era convertible at the beach, with a surfboard sticking out of the back seat. (The board has two fins, hence "twin fin".) 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Syrah. This is a fruit bomb, so you get a lot of bright grape and cherry flavors at first. The tannins are thankfully low, and the finish is short. What does all that mean?

With zero complexity and a taste that doesn't linger, you could match this with just about any food. I'm always hesitant about cheap Cabernet Sauvignon, but this seems to be simple and well balanced (I can't wait to try their Syrah). I was really surprised by this wine, and I hope that its fun marketing will convince more non-wine drinkers to pick up a bottle now and then. $6.

1 comment:

Comedytonight said...

Just tried my first bottle of Twin Fin. As you say, uncomplicated and short finish. Went well with pesto pasta. Exciting to find an accessible, right-priced wine that doesn't overpower the food. Cool.